Thursday, July 21, 2011

I am a runner!

(ok, I just ran once, time will tell if this streak continues)

but I ran today....(sigh) not as far as I wanted........but a good 2.5 miles........it will be a while before I am back at full speed. BUT I am determined to keep going.

It was a cloudy day and I wasn't NOT in the mood for exercise. I literally pouted as I was changing into running clothes. The clouds were over the mountains (that is usual), but they were also looming over the beach, as well. It was a dark and stormy, night, wait, day. As I sat outside, on the steps, putting on socks and shoes, it started raining. Ugh! Boy, was God telling me something? My whole body wanted to go back inside and curl up with a good book....or more White Collar episodes with hunky Matt Bomer. With a sigh and a desperate need to be in shape for the beginning of school, I waited until it stopped and then began the journey, up the hill. No, I was not pleased with myself.

Since it was such a crummy day, I had this really BRIGHT idea. Maybe I should run instead. This way I could cut down on the outside time by half! What a perfect idea! This would be the kick in the ass that I needed.

I started SLOW.....and ran up the slope until the road ended....whew, time to walk down the hill. Then I ran the stretch by the cemetery and dog park. I even managed to beat out a biking couple as they struggled up the hill. Ha! I was running on the non-diamond head side of 18th st. They were on the diamond head side. As I sensed them to my right, I decided to give it my all and sprint (since I knew that I would be stopping at the top).....Mid-way, I thought, wouldn't it be funny if I passed them.....Haha! Then when I did (what were THEY doing?, they were on bikes!), I was really happy. Now time to stop sucking wind on the walk to 22nd st. I passed a homeless guy and 2 utilities worker, but I really was much more concerned with lowering my heart rate. I ran back along 22nd st and started walking again, so I could pass that wonderful garden with the endless basil growing.

Since, of course, it was now sunny, go figure, I decided to stay outside, instead of heading for home. I turned down Hunakai and headed for the very flat Farmers Rd. I spend the final 5 minutes running smoothly on the asphalt. I could get the hang of this thing called running

In all, a START.....I will try again tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment