Friday, August 6, 2010

Week 2

I'm back from Boston, after a successful baby shower. I even managed to sneak in three runs in Boston (one long, two short) between all that cleaning, balloon picking up, and having fun with family.

I must emphasize how nice it was to run with my marathon partner, Karli. It really does take your mind off of how awful running is. We had nice chats about family, work, TV shows.....I am glad that Karli and I run at a similar pace (although I suspect that she will get faster as time goes by and I will get slower). As Dawn Dais writes running partners "will provide you with more support than a sports bra ever could"

I really should title this blog, "How much I hate running". Today's run was blah. I started with such a nice slow jog (I matched my pace to my music - Tattoo by Jordin Sparks)....but I must have sprinted up the hill and tired myself out. By the time I hit the halfway point, I was real, REAL slow. I had to walk a bit, after the light. But then instead of continuing up Kilauea Ave (I missed the light)....I zagged to the left and went by two parks. There was a little boy who was learning how to ride a bike - with training wheels. I felt like cheering along with Mom and Dad. Then I saw one of my rascal students (ugh!). By this time, I was warmed up and hobbled down Hunakai St. to the very end. 47 min and 4.3 miles. Tomorrow's 50 minute run should be real interesting. I will TRY to get it out of the way in the morning and run around Diamond Head (it is part of the marathon!!!)

Other random thoughts.....I finally spoke to my neighbor today (after 4 years???). She was getting out of a car as I was walking to the mailbox. I think we both had the same thought - I could see it in her face - "oh no! we are going to have to talk to each other". But we had a pleasant conversation about working out. I have no idea what her name is....and we probably won't speak again for another 4 years. She says she doesn't run (and would rather lift) because she tries to GAIN weight! (I must mention she is a twig).

Which leads me to my last point. I take comfort in Dawn Dais's book, because she did all that running and did not lose a single pound. I am seeing a similar thing. My metabolism must be at a crawl. At the beginning of the summer I walked 8 miles every day (burned about 800 calories - not that I count calories - every day), and I am still at the same weight. Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment